Free E-Mail Subscription
Join our free monthly newsletter.
Summaries of Recent Medical Research
Index of Articles - Alpha Index | By Issue and Volume
|Volume 2, Issue 2||January 2001|
Neither disbelief nor blind faith are helpful in the assessment of FMS disability
Assessment questions for medical experts
1. Were pre-injury symptoms consistent with FMS?
2. Did the injury accelerate or advance pre-existing FMS?
3. Is physical deconditioning causing daily or frequent reinjury?
4. Is the claimant disabled because she believes "hurt = harm"?
5. Is permanent disability the purpose, consciously or unconsciously, of the chronic pain?
6. What would the claimant's health and functioning be, absent the injury?
There is now solid evidence that the lowered pain threshold of FMS is mediated by abnormalities of chemicals in nerve cells
Treatments with proven effectiveness:
1. Tricyclic antidepressants
2. Benzodiazepine sedatives
3. Aerobic exercise
4. Some "body-mind" therapies
1. level of education
2. psychosocial gain
GLOSSARY: Click on the appropriate letter
[A][B] [C] [D] [E] [F] [G] [H] [I] [J] [K] [L] [M] [N] [O] [P] [Q] [R] [S] [T] [U] [V] [W] [X] [Y] [Z]